Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Teachable Moments

When I was a teacher we talked about "teachable moments" - those times where the opportunity arises to teach a child something unplanned but perfectly fitting for the moment's life lesson.

Parenting is ALL about teachable moments. Sometimes I smile at how God was preparing me to be a teacher when I was teaching in the public schools. Teaching my 2 kiddos is very different from teaching my 500 kiddos, but you get the picture.

Anywho, today's teachable moment: Flying Boogies
Driving down highway, making the turn from 121 to 75, Kyle has a tissue (after I have told him to get his fingers out of his nose 3 times) I tell him when he is done to drop the tissue on the floor - Mommy doesn't want his boogies in front with me. Suddenly from the back seat comes a flying tissue full of boogies into the front seat, it hits me and scares me. Hello teachable moment! We pull off the highway (into a parking lot) and talk right then about not throwing things in the car and not scaring Mommy while I'm driving.

The wonderful joys of being a mom. I love my job! :)

No comments: